.widget.Profile .widget-content>a img.profile-img { min-width: 80px!important; min-height: 80px!important; max-width: 80px; border-radius: 40px; }

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

When did Ignorance become Bliss?

Ignorance is Bliss? I certainly don't think so. I read an article earlier on elitedaily.com titled "Ladies, the smarter you are, the more likely you are to be single". First off, let me say that I love the way the writer wrote this article and how they presented the truth and both sides. I am also glad to have come across an article like this. Men, if you think this is wrong, you are on the right path. Ladies, if you can relate, share this blog with your female and male friends. 

It occurred to me while reading this article, that there were many valid points made. I agree with one very strong point...that there is an epidemic of settling in this generation. Whatever the reason may be, I would love to hear honest explanations from the many people who settle. How can we as living human beings allow ourselves to be so ignorant? How can anyone allow their heart not to be happy to its full capacity of happiness? 

What I have difficulty understanding is why this generation is the generation of settling? I applaud those who don't and are still looking for the right one or have found the right one...their equal. Why should we as woman not see through the lies and the BS? And why should men allow themselves to be with someone who does? How can they morally be OK with that? It's true what the writer says in the article about how people believe that ignorance is bliss. But it really shouldn't be. Too many people are stuck on this misconception, specifically several women. 

So then why must an intelligent woman suffer for what a guy lacks? Just because a guy doesn't want to be emasculated and wants to be the dominant one? I don't think so. I once dated a guy who said he was completely supportive of me going to school and focusing on my passion. But he really wanted someone who can do wifely duties and work around his schedule. It should be equal. It doesn't matter who makes more money or who is more intelligent (that phrase should not even be used in a relationship), an equal partnership should be allowing each other to grow together but in the right direction. Each individual pursuing their dreams while supporting one another along the way. 

For the men who feel threatened by more successful woman, you are so morally wrong to the core to feel and think that way. I'm sorry to tell you, but we don't live in the stone ages anymore. Couples should be empowering one another. Sadly, it's a fact that most people, female and male, like to be the better one in a relationship. 

Women are getting more and more intelligent and men just aren't getting more supportive. Men aren't progressing as they should be according to modern times. Instead, we are finding that deep down, men still feel the need to be superior. Men feel the need to be the one in charge and take on the macho roll of supporting his woman and family. That's all fine and dandy...if it was the 50s. As said in this article I read, the number of college-educated women far outweigh the number of college-educated men. So what does this tell you?

We live among a generation of idiots. No surprise there. Instead of women waiting for the man that is equal to her and empowers her, women have the tendency to settle and are lowering their standards just to find a guy who appreciates them. Women are giving up their careers and dreams for these men. Some would think, that's great. But the intelligent person knows right from wrong and logic from fantasy. The fact that so many women are settling and so many men actually want a dumb woman, shows that intelligence doesn't exist in those relationships. And only in those relationships, is ignorance truly bliss. For a person not to acknowledge the immorality in the phrase 'ignorance is bliss' is to not feel. You can argue with me and try to rationalize it in your mind but that phrase is simply fantasy. Meaning that you are so stuck in a state of mind where you believe you are happy because you have settled and lowered your standards. 

Where are the men who are supposed to challenge us and understand us? Where are the men who are supposed to shock us and support us? The men who think it's a turn on that their woman is so damn smart. God forbid, a woman tries to challenge a man or question him. Not in an accusatory way, just in a moral way. I believe that an intelligent woman has a right to be loved. Yes I just said that. Men who ditch a great woman simply because she exudes intelligence and success, is a coward. 

I once was ignorant. I once chose to be blind to the lies. Then one day I chose to see through all the lies and the BS. When I chose to not be ignorant and blind anymore, that's when I started to realize something. I was in relationships with guys I was settling with. And now I'll be totally honest. I find myself going on less and less dates. Not because I can't get one but because I'm tired of dating the same guy over and over. I have yet to find a guy who challenges and shocks me. I have yet to find that guy who is willing to support me and can understand me and wants to be my equal. It really isn't much to ask for, but in this generation, apparently it is. I refuse to settle for a guy who is going to lie to me, hide things from me, and talk badly about me behind my back. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with feeling that way. All woman should keep their standards high, and a man should want the challenge to meet these standards, and vice-a-versa. Both men and women should have high standard for each other, and those standards should be of equal balance. 

For some time I thought I was crazy to have such high standards, but I've realized over time and through my personal experiences that intelligence is key for a relationship. We can't let ourselves believe that ignorance is bliss and we should strive to eliminate this epidemic of settling. Intelligence should be expected in a relationship. I'm not just talking about college-educated either. Intelligence means being independent, knowing how to love yourself first before loving another person. Intelligence is knowing right from wrong in both logic and morals. Intelligence is knowing and understanding what equality is. To live your life in ignorance isn't bliss, it's tragedy. 

No comments: